Swim Orienteering at Lake James
September 7 @ 11:00 am - 7:00 pm$20
Come celebrate the End O Summer with us with a swim-run orienteering race on Saturday, September 7 at Lake James State Park.
Classic (point-to-point) orienteering that will involve wading across a narrow, waist-deep channel between a little island and the mainland, and/or swimming out to at least one control flag, lazily circling the island on Patrick McGillicutty ‘s pontoon boat. He will talk like a pirate all day, especially if you ask him to knock it off.
Start area is TBA, but probably near the main beach. We will begin on foot. Finish area will be on the island’s shore somewhere, where we will have a picnic, comparing finishing times with our toes in the sand.
A variety of courses will be available, from Beginner to Expert, and timing will be electronic using our SPORTident system!
If you are not a good swimmer, you must bring and wear a Personal Fl-O-tation Device. We may have kayaks or canoes or inner tubes or water wings or pool noodles.
– Cost will be $20 for soloists AND teams (subtract $5 if you have your own finger stick)
– If you are a group, you pay just $20 for your group (of up to four people) and includes 1 MAP AND 1 TIMING DEVICE
– $5 from every map goes towards the gas bill for Pat’s boat
– this event is kid and pet friendly (if they can hang)
– max attendance is 60 participants due to another large event at the park that day. 50 available tickets assumes 10 participants are family and teammates.