MapRun Orienteering Course
Black Mountain, NC
Before You Begin
- Be sure to install MapRun on your smartphone and follow the Quick Start Guide to set up the app as documented here.
- IMPORTANT – when prompted on first launch of MapRun, grant it maximum permissions, as in, “all the time” or “when the app is in use.” Confirm any battery-saver or data-saver features on your phone are turned off. We want MapRun to stay awake even when your screen goes to sleep.
- Tap the User Profile button and fill out the information, then tap Accept.
- When printing out your course map(s) (optional) please be sure to select “Actual Size” to ensure the map is printed to scale.
- PIN codes to unlock each course are located on the PDF link attached to your purchase confirmation.
- On your phone, tap the links below to load your course. It should open up in MapRun. If you don’t have it installed, tapping these links will take you to your app store.
- You can pre-load multiple courses onto your phone this way, which can then be selected from the “locally stored courses” tab when you’re onsite and away from data coverage.
- Scatter course – https://p.fne.com.au/openevent/?id=32239&auth=438822
- White Classic – https://p.fne.com.au/openevent/?id=32240&auth=505003
- Orange Classic – https://p.fne.com.au/openevent/?id=32241&auth=462512
- Red Classic “Black Mountain Blackjack” – https://p.fne.com.au/openevent/?id=32242&auth=819024
Tips and Tricks
- SAFETY FIRST, and LEAVE NO TRACE
- Start and Finish are located in the same place, on the southwest side of the curved balcony of the main building at Lake Tomahawk Park between the lake and the building. It’s the superimposed triangle and double circle.
- When you are within 15 meters of any control point, MapRun will vibrate and make a sound on your phone. Be sure your volume is turned up so you can hear it, and secure the phone near your body so you can feel the vibrations.
- When you are ready to begin, tap GO TO START, move towards the triangle and when you hear MapRun chime, the clock has started and your session has begun. You can now put the phone away and use your paper map to navigate, or use the on-screen map.
- Scatter Course – visit as many control points as you wish, in any order, and return to the Finish. You must visit at least one control point to achieve an OK result.
- Classic courses must visit ALL control points IN SEQUENTIAL ORDER to achieve an OK result.
- Finish procedure – upon returning to the double-circle, MapRun will prompt you twice if confirm you are truly finished. When completed, you will see your tracks and results.
- Because GPS accuracy can be inconsistent at times, if your phone failed to chime at a control point you actually visited, you can use the HITMO (“hey I think it missed one”) function to correct that post-run. Reach out to us if you need help with this.
- Optional – your result can be uploaded manually to the MapRun Leaderboard, Strava, and your GPX tracks can be exported via email. Look for these options in the menu of your results screen.