- This event has passed.
Fletcher Freezer Orienteering Races
February 15, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm$15
Join us at Bill Moore Community Park (formerly Fletcher Park) for a great day of winter weather orienteering! With several race formats to choose from, there is something for everyone willing to bundle up and enjoy this diverse, beautiful park in Fletcher, NC.
This event is geared towards ALL ABILITY LEVELS, ALL AGES, from beginner to expert. It’s perfect for runners, walkers, shufflers, moseyers, saunterers, lolligaggers and lumberers. Don’t think you need to be a “runner” to participate!
- Ultra Sprint Race (the main event)
- 12:00 pm noon MASS START
- There will be 20 checkpoints (orange and white flags) hung around the park.
- Runners will line up in three corrals to be sent off, three at a time, at 30 second intervals starting at 12:00 pm. Runners will get one (of three) detailed course maps with the flags to find in order using a supplied timing device (SPORTident finger stick.)
- All participants will be in the field at the same time, running their respective courses.
- When you finish the first course, you can take a break and then begin your second course.
- Runners will complete THREE short courses like this, each about 1km in length and with increasingly complex navigation. Each course will include a MAZE to negotiate.
- The objective is to finish all three courses in as short a time as possible, your result being the sum total of your three elapsed times. The clock stops between courses.
- Average finish times for the entire event will be in the 1 to 2 hour range, and you can expect to cover 2 to 3 miles, give or take.
- Timing and scoring will be electronic, featuring our SPORTident timing system. Results will be provided instantly to each runner as a printed receipt, displayed in real time, and published to the web after the event.
- Late starts are acceptable if you can’t make it right at noon.
- A-la-Carte Courses
- Start window opens at 12:00 pm and closes at 1:00 pm – Start any time during this window.
- Ultra Sprint courses – run any or all of the three short Ultra Sprint courses outside the Ultra Sprint framework (mass start, needing to run all 3 courses, etc.)
- Middle distance course – 4-5k length range and up to 28 control points
- BEGINNER COURSE – super easy, and a fun way to get acquainted with orienteering without feeling the pressure of competition
The Map and Venue
- 1:5000 scale, full color, legend, printed on Rite-in-the-Rain waterproof paper
- Bill Moore Community Park is recognized as one of the best family parks in Western North Carolina. Park patrons have access to miles of scenic walking trails, Cane Creek, and countless other amenities. Park Amenities includes:5 Baseball/Softball Fields, 3 Multi-purpose Fields, Concession Stand, Restrooms, Steelcase Picnic Shelter, Playground, Park Ridge Health Fitness Circuit, Cane Creek Access, 9-hole Disc Golf Course, Arboretum Gardens, Walking Trails, Morris Broadband Dog Park
- Ultra Sprint Race – $15 (minus $5 if you have your own finger stick)
- A-la-Carte Courses – $15 (minus $5 if you have your own finger stick)
- Middle distance course – $15 (minus $5 if you have your own finger stick)
- BEGINNER COURSE – $10 (not a timed race, no finger stick necessary)
- Please fill out the Google Form below to register and reserve your map(s). You do not need to pay to register!
- Entries can be pre-purchased online in our shop.
NOTE – Attendance is limited to 50 people, so register early to ensure your spot!
NOTE – You can pay with debit or credit card. No PayPal account is required.