- This event has passed.
Grid-O Endur-O, or “22 in 2 on 2-22”
February 22, 2020 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm$5 – $15
Join us at The Park at Flat Rock on February 22, 2020 at 12 noon for our first ever running of a new orienteering concept race: Grid-O Endur-O.
Due to the irresistibly appealing numerical alliteration, the subtitle of this event is “22 in 2 on 2/22.” (hold your applause)
- 11:00 am – 11:30 am – Arrival and registration
- 11:45 am – Pre-race briefing and instructions
- 12:00 pm – Starts begin and will be staggered by 1 minute.
- 12:30 pm – Last available start time (for walk-ups and folks running late)
- 2:00 pm – Course closes 2 hours after you begin (i.e. if you start in the 7th minute, your cutoff is 2:07 pm)
This event is geared towards ALL ABILITY LEVELS, ALL AGES, from beginner to expert.
- On a “level surface,” there are 12 control points, spaced 10 meters apart, arranged in a 3 x 4 grid.
- There is a Start and Finish control 10 meters outside the grid on the same side.
- There are 22 courses that increase in difficulty and length.
- Courses are linear and control flags must be visited in sequence. Each control flag has a control box on it, which you use your finger stick to “punch.”
- The easiest course has 12 points and is 130 m long. The hardest course has 22 points and is 460 m long.
- Courses gradually take longer to complete, and average between 1 and 5 minutes apiece.
- The combined total distance of all 22 courses is 4.6 km.
- You have 2 hours to complete as many of the courses in order as you can.
- A “mispunch” (MP) occurs when you miss a punch or go out of order. If you mispunch, you must do the course over again until you get it right. Only then, can you move on.
- 2 hours is probably enough time to finish all 22 courses.
- If multiple runners finish all 22 courses, then results are determined by lowest elapsed time.
- Starts will be staggered by 1 minute starting at 12:00 pm, or whenever you arrive if you’re a little late.
The Map and Venue
- You will receive a Zip-Lock bag containing your 22 courses, each occupying a quarter sheet of paper. Scale and magnetic north are irrelevant, and there is no compass necessary for this event. The map only needs to be oriented to the Start/Finish area which borders one side of the grid.
- The 22nd and final course is called “GRIDiculous,” and you will understand why… if you get that far.
- The Park at Flat Rock is a rolling, flat grassy area that used to be a golf course. It features multiple ponds, lush gardens, is beautifully landscaped and has been a GREAT venue for classic orienteering. During this event, we won’t see any of the park except for the grid area, whose location is TBD.
- We encourage you to explore this amazing park before and after the event, especially their awesome playground (bring the kids!)
- Adults – $15 per person (minus $5 if you own your own SPORTident finger stick)
- Children (14 and under) – $10 per person (minus $5 if you own your own SPORTident finger stick)
- Participation is limited by the number of finger sticks we have (40ish)