- This event has passed.
MapRun Monday – Greenville – September 19, 2022
September 19 @ 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm$5.00
MapRun Monday in Greenville!
Let’s head down even further south to our neighbors in Greenville and check out their awesome neighborhoods! We’ll be finding our way through residential areas around the famed Swamp Rabbit Trail and Greenville’s wonderful downtown area.
A MapRun is a street orienteering activity for runners and walkers using a paper map and the MapRun smartphone app. It’s family- and beginner-friendly and a great way to explore Asheville’s residential neighborhoods for fun, fitness, and/or competition. With 5 different course options available, there’s something for every pace and ability. Join us!
DATE AND TIME
- Monday, September 19, 2022
- Check-in starts at 5:30pm
- Start your course any time between 6:00pm-6:30pm
- All courses close at 7:35pm
- NO FLAGS in the field – everything is scored/tracked with the MapRun smartphone app (details below)
- Please be safe, have fun, and don’t take unnecessary risks with your safety.
LOCATION and PARKING
- The start and finish location will be at The Community Tap Trailside at The Commons in Greenville, SC. Please see venue map below for directions.
- There is plenty of parking.
- For walkers – 65-minute SCORE course with 3 point per minute late penalty. Controls are weighted 2-5 points as stated on the map. No running allowed!
- For runners – four different SCATTER courses (A, B, C, D) requiring stated minimum number of controls (17, 14, 11, 7 of 20) before returning to the finish, and the lowest time wins. Running, jogging, walking, crawling permitted.
FEES and REGISTRATION
- Adults are $5 each.
- Tagalong kids are free (and each get a map) but competing juniors pay the adult rate.
- Entry includes one 8.5″x11″ Rite-in-the-Rain waterproof course map. Maps contain PIN codes to access the five courses in MapRun.
- Payment can be made in advance on this page via CC or by selecting CASH ONSITE at checkout.
- PLEASE pre-register. Walk-up registration is permitted, while map supplies last. The aim is zero waste, so extras will be extremely limited.
- Starting and finishing at The Community Tap Trailside at The Commons in Greenville, SC.
- The Commons is a great public space at a brand new park, offering multiple vendors in its Food Hall including a taco stand, bakery, coffee shop, and more!
- Scale is 1:10,000 with 20 foot contours
- Mostly black and white with simplified street-O symbol set. Extremely self-explanatory, and everyone gets a map briefing before starting.
- Legend stresses out of bounds (IF IT’S GRAY STAY AWAY,) crossable features, un-crossable features, and safety information.
- This activity takes place on public streets. Private drives are marked on the map, will never be necessary for route choice, but are there as features for navigating by.
- Disclaimer – the data used is from OpenStreetMap, LiDAR sources, and Google Street View. While every course is tested, in person, prior to your arrival, the map itself is never completely field checked. We do our best to keep up with changes to ensure your map is as accurate as possible.
- MapRun runs on your Android or iPhone smartphone and is how we track, time, and score this orienteering race.
- You can download and install MapRun here.
- You can view an example map with instructions from an event that took place in Tasmania, Australia (where Maprun is REALLY popular)
- Here is an overview video of MapRun in action.
Waiver of Liability (initials required at registration)
Waiver — In consideration of you accepting this entry, I, the participant, intending to be legally bound and hereby waive or release any and all right and claims for damages or injuries that I may have against the Meet Director, WNC Orienteering Club, Northline Navigation LLC, and all of their agents assisting with the activity, sponsors and their representatives and employees for any and all injuries to me or my personal property. This release includes all injuries and/or damages suffered by me before, during, or after the activity. I recognize, intend, and understand that this release is binding on my heirs, executors, administrators, or assignees. I also authorize the use of photographs or videos that include my image for promotional, informational, or other reasons deemed to be in the best interest of the activity. I certify as a material condition to my being permitted to enter this race that I am physically fit and sufficiently trained for the completion of this event and that my physical condition has been verified by a licensed Medical Doctor. By submitting this entry, I acknowledge (or a parent or adult guardian for all children under 18 years) having read and agreed to the above waiver. [YOU MUST INITIAL THE REGISTRATION FORM TO CONFIRM ACCEPTANCE OF THESE CONDITIONS.]
- Sorry, no refunds.
- Events are rain or shine excepting dangerous weather, in which case a call will be made prior to the start time, and a make-up date announced. If you cannot make the make-up date, your ticket will roll over to the next event.
- Tickets purchased come with a downloadable PDF after the race, should you miss Monday evening. Courses in MapRun can be run any time, and we’re happy to mail a Rite-in-the-Rain, waterproof course map to you.