- This event has passed.
MapRun Monday – Montford – July 11, 2022
July 11, 2022 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm$5.00
Welcome to MapRun Monday! A MapRun is a street orienteering activity for runners and walkers using a paper map and the MapRun smartphone app. It’s family- and beginner-friendly and a great way to explore Asheville’s residential neighborhoods for fun, fitness, and/or competition. With 5 different course options available, there’s something for every pace and ability. Join us!
DATE AND TIME
- Monday, July 11, 2022
- Arrive and start any time between 6:30pm – 7:00pm
- All courses close at 8:05pm
- NO FLAGS in the field – everything is scored/tracked with the MapRun smartphone app (details below)
- Please be safe, have fun, and don’t take unnecessary risks with your safety.
LOCATION and PARKING
- The start location will be at the Tempie Avery Montford Center, near the baseball field, as listed in the Venue map below. Look for an orange orienteering flag.
- There is a sandy parking lot between the (super awesome) playground and the baseball field. That’s where we’ll meet, start, and finish.
- Please carpool if possible.
- Please respect all signage.
- Walkers – 65-minute SCORE course with 3 point per minute late penalty. Controls are weighted 2-5 points as stated on the map. No running allowed!
- Runners – four different SCATTER courses (A, B, C, D) requiring stated minimum number of controls before returning to finish, lowest time wins. Running, jogging, walking, crawling permitted.
- Adults are $5
- Non-competing kids are free. Competing kids pay the adult rate.
- Entry includes one 8.5″x11″ Rite-in-the-Rain waterproof course maps is provided per entry. Maps contain PIN codes to access the courses in MapRun.
- Payment can be made in advance on this page via CC or by selecting CASH ONSITE at checkout.
- Walk-up registration is permitted, while map supplies last. The aim is zero waste, so extras will be extremely limited. PLEASE pre-register if possible!
- Scale is 1:10,000 with 20 foot contours
- Mostly black and white with simplified street-O symbol set. Extremely self-explanatory, and everyone gets a map briefing before starting.
- Legend stresses out of bounds (if it’s gray, stay away!,) crossable features, un-crossable features and safety information.
- Historic Montford in north Asheville is full of incredible architecture, landscaping, and artwork. It’s rolling hills, so bring adequate hydration.
- MapRun runs on your Android or iPhone smartphone and is how we track, time, and score this orienteering race.
- You can download and install MapRun here.
- You can view an example map with instructions from an event that took place in Tasmania, Australia (where Maprun is REALLY popular)
- Here is an overview video of MapRun in action.
Waiver of Liability (initials required at registration)
Waiver — In consideration of you accepting this entry, I, the participant, intending to be legally bound and hereby waive or release any and all right and claims for damages or injuries that I may have against the Meet Director, WNC Orienteering Club, Northline Navigation LLC, and all of their agents assisting with the activity, sponsors and their representatives and employees for any and all injuries to me or my personal property. This release includes all injuries and/or damages suffered by me before, during, or after the activity. I recognize, intend, and understand that this release is binding on my heirs, executors, administrators, or assignees. I also authorize the use of photographs or videos that include my image for promotional, informational, or other reasons deemed to be in the best interest of the activity. I certify as a material condition to my being permitted to enter this race that I am physically fit and sufficiently trained for the completion of this event and that my physical condition has been verified by a licensed Medical Doctor. By submitting this entry, I acknowledge (or a parent or adult guardian for all children under 18 years) having read and agreed to the above waiver. [YOU MUST INITIAL THE REGISTRATION FORM TO CONFIRM ACCEPTANCE OF THESE CONDITIONS.]
- Sorry, no refunds.
- Events are rain or shine excepting dangerous weather, in which case a call will be made prior to the start time, and a make-up date announced. If you cannot make the make-up date, your ticket will roll over to the next event.
- Tickets purchased come with a downloadable PDF after the race, should you miss Monday evening. Courses in MapRun can be run any time, and we’re happy to mail a Rite-in-the-Rain, waterproof course map to you.