- This event has passed.
Night-O in Black Mountain
February 18 @ 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm$25.00 – $35.00
WNC Orienteering Club is proud to present Night-O in Black Mountain.
This event is OPEN TO THE PUBLIC and KIDS and BEGINNERS are welcome!
Beneficiary – as thank you to the property owners for letting us use this wonderful space for orienteering, we are donating a portion of every ticket to the Camp Lakey Gap Autism Summer Camp Program. Various donation amounts per entry can be selected at checkout, and a minimum $5 donation is required. More information about the program can be found here.
- Date – Saturday, February 18, 2023
- Location – Christmount Assembly in Black Mountain.
- Parking – Follow the signs and park where indicated. Specifics will be communicated just prior.
- 6:00pm – Check-in begins
- 6:50pm – Participant briefing and last minute pep talk
- 7:00pm – MASS START for all courses
- 9:00pm – All courses close. Please exit back to the Finish even if you aren’t done (unless you’re real close.)
- Two scatter options – visit any 12 unique controls in any order out of the available 24, or visit all of them and return to the finish.
- Main event: Micro-Sprint – for experienced orienteers and recklessly optimistic beginners looking for a good time. Three maps, done in random order, two short and one long. Combined time is your result.
- Timing will be SPORTident (flags and finger sticks)
- Flags have a reflective strip on them, making it almost too easy.
- This is a small area, so control placement will be moderate to difficult, with a surprise twist to make things even more interesting.
- Crash course in orienteering available – just ask!
Fees and Registration
- Adults are $20 (includes timing device, “finger stick” rental)
- Accompanied, non-competing, tagalong kids are free
- DONATIONS – Why are there three ticket options? Each one includes a unique amount ($5, $10, $15 respectively) added to the base price, 100% of which will go to the Camp Lakey Gap Autism Summer Camp Program. Please select the ticket option of your choice and thank you for your donations! Over the years people have shown that given the opportunity to give more, they just might! We often make a sizeable donation thanks to the generosity in our WNC Orienteering Club community. We raised $300 last time!
- Have your own finger stick (SI-Card)? Please use the coupon code HAVESTICK at checkout to take $5 off your order. If you have multiple finger sticks on your multi-person order, please use HAVE2STICKS, HAVE3STICKS, or HAVE4STICKS accordingly to get the appropriate discount.
- Lost/damaged rental finger stick replacement fee – $40
- Finger stick rental require leaving collateral (car keys, generally) to ensure return of equipment
Waiver of Liability (initials required at registration)
Waiver — In consideration of you accepting this entry, I, the participant, intending to be legally bound and hereby waive or release any and all right and claims for damages or injuries that I may have against the Meet Director, WNC Orienteering Club, Christmount Camp and Conference Center, Northline Navigation LLC, and all of their agents assisting with the activity, sponsors and their representatives and employees for any and all injuries to me or my personal property. This release includes all injuries and/or damages suffered by me before, during, or after the activity. I recognize, intend, and understand that this release is binding on my heirs, executors, administrators, or assignees. I also authorize the use of photographs or videos that include my image for promotional, informational, or other reasons deemed to be in the best interest of the activity. I certify as a material condition to my being permitted to enter this race that I am physically fit and sufficiently trained for the completion of this event and that my physical condition has been verified by a licensed Medical Doctor. By submitting this entry, I acknowledge (or a parent or adult guardian for all children under 18 years) having read and agreed to the above waiver. [YOU MUST INITIAL THE REGISTRATION FORM TO CONFIRM ACCEPTANCE OF THESE CONDITIONS.]