- This event has passed.
O’Rienteering Meet 2022
March 20 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm$5.00
Join us for a new twist on the classic O’Rienteering Meets we’ve had at Lookout Brewing over the years – a timed Score-O using the MapRun app! There will be NO FLAGS in the field.
- 90-minute timed “scatter” course
- Mass start at 12:30pm
- Controls can be visited in any order
- Each control will be worth 20 points
- Late penalty will be 10 points per minute
- Highest points total is the winner
- Controls will be located around Black Mountain at major features like road intersections and public park fixtures
DATE AND TIME
- Sunday, March 20, 2022
- Check-in starts at 12:00pm
- Mass start time is 12:30pm (2pm cutoff for on-time starters)
- Late starts are OKAY
- Rite-in-the-Rain waterproof course maps are just $5 each
- Payment can be made in advance on this page via CC or by selecting CASH ONSITE at checkout, but either way, RSVP for a map is required
- Scale is 1:10,000 with 40-foot contours (see snippet of general area above)
- Custom map is mostly OpenStreetMap data with some field checking and drafting – mostly a STREET MAP
- Map is NOT FIELD CHECKED and private property is NOT MARKED – use your best judgment when making your route choices
- MapRun runs on your Android or iPhone smartphone and is how we track, time, and score this orienteering race.
- You can download and install MapRun here.
- You can view an example map with instructions from an event that took place in Tasmania, Australia (where Maprun is REALLY popular)
- Here is an overview video of MapRun in action.
Waiver of Liability (initials required at registration)
Waiver — In consideration of you accepting this entry, I, the participant, intending to be legally bound and hereby waive or release any and all right and claims for damages or injuries that I may have against the Meet Director, WNC Orienteering Club, Lookout Brewing Company, Northline Navigation LLC, and all of their agents assisting with the activity, sponsors and their representatives and employees for any and all injuries to me or my personal property. This release includes all injuries and/or damages suffered by me before, during, or after the activity. I recognize, intend, and understand that this release is binding on my heirs, executors, administrators, or assignees. I also authorize the use of photographs or videos that include my image for promotional, informational, or other reasons deemed to be in the best interest of the activity. I certify as a material condition to my being permitted to enter this race that I am physically fit and sufficiently trained for the completion of this event and that my physical condition has been verified by a licensed Medical Doctor. By submitting this entry, I acknowledge (or a parent or adult guardian for all children under 18 years) having read and agreed to the above waiver. [YOU MUST INITIAL THE REGISTRATION FORM TO CONFIRM ACCEPTANCE OF THESE CONDITIONS.]