- This event has passed.
Sugaree Shakedown – Orienteering
March 25 @ 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm$40.00
Join us Saturday, March 25 at a spectacular new mountain venue in Newland, NC for a day of orienteering at a working Christmas tree farm!
Home of one of the country’s highest rated disc golf courses, “Sugaree,” Sugar Mountain Fraser Firs boasts some of the most wonderful and varied terrain for orienteering to be found anywhere, replete with gigantic boulders and cliffs, jaw-dropping 360 degree mountain views, a combination of steep and rolling, open forest with thickets of dense rhododendron, all of which surround expanses of neatly aligned Christmas trees in all stages of growth, from saplings to towering specimens destined for places the likes of Rockefeller Center.
- Sugaree Shakedown has three course options as follows.
- Classic Short 2.3Km
- Classic Long 4.3Km
- Scatter – find up to 25 controls in any order
- Mass start for all courses at 12:00pm
DATE AND TIME
- Saturday, March 25, 2023
- Check-in starts at 10:30am
- Mass start time is 12:00pm
- Late starts are OKAY
- All courses close at 4:00pm
- Proudly sponsored by Fjallraven, who are graciously providing some of their high-end cold weather gear and apparel for top finishers and/or giveaways to randomly selected participants.
- Top finishers in the three divisions (Short, Long, Scatter) will receive a fantastic orange 28 liter backpack from Fjallraven, and ALL participants will receive a valuable coupon for $50 off purchases of $100 or more!
- Proudly sponsored by Mountain Running Company – Boone, NC, who are graciously providing gift certificates, flagging to spruce up (get it? spruce?) our Start/Finish area, and helping to spread the word to their awesome running and hiking community in Boone.
- Proudly sponsored by Highland Brewing Company, who are providing three $25 gift cards to be awarded, plus all eligible participants will enjoy some of their excellent beer at the finish, while supplies last.
- Entry is $40 per competitor and includes one finger stick, one electronic result, and one waterproof paper Rite-in-the-Rain course map.
- If you own your own finger stick, you can use a discount code during registration to take $5 off your entry. If you have one finger stick, enter the coupon code HAVESTICK after clicking the ‘Apply Coupon’ button. If you are registering for more than one person, who each have their own finger stick, use HAVE2STICKS or HAVE3STICKS or HAVE4STICKS respectively to receive the appropriate discount. Contact us directly about larger groups.
- Sorry, no refunds. Transfers are okay, though.
- Scale is 1:4,000 with 5 meter contour interval. The small size of this area is balanced by its rugged, varied, and in places extremely challenging terrain. It will feel MUCH larger than a sprint map.
- The map is created from high-resolution QL2 LiDAR processed through Kartapullautin, resulting in a highly detailed, automatically generated base map. There will be limited field checking done prior to the event, so do not expect a fully field-checked “orienteering map.” There will be several field checking trips done in advance, and all controls will be on confirmed, drafted features.
Waiver of Liability (initials required at registration)
Waiver — In consideration of you accepting this entry, I, the participant, intending to be legally bound and hereby waive or release any and all right and claims for damages or injuries that I may have against the Meet Director, WNC Orienteering Club, Northline Navigation LLC, and Sugaree DGC aka Sugar Mountain Frasier Firs and all of their agents assisting with the activity, sponsors and their representatives and employees for any and all injuries to me or my personal property. This release includes all injuries and/or damages suffered by me before, during, or after the activity. I recognize, intend, and understand that this release is binding on my heirs, executors, administrators, or assignees. I also authorize the use of photographs or videos that include my image for promotional, informational, or other reasons deemed to be in the best interest of the activity. I certify as a material condition to my being permitted to enter this race that I am physically fit and sufficiently trained for the completion of this event and that my physical condition has been verified by a licensed Medical Doctor. By submitting this entry, I acknowledge (or a parent or adult guardian for all children under 18 years) having read and agreed to the above waiver. [YOU MUST INITIAL THE REGISTRATION FORM TO CONFIRM ACCEPTANCE OF THESE CONDITIONS.]