- This event has passed.
Swim Orienteering at Lake James
September 7, 2019 @ 11:00 am - 7:00 pm$20
Come celebrate the End O Summer with us with a swim-run orienteering race on Saturday, September 7 at Lake James State Park.
Classic (point-to-point) orienteering that will involve wading across a narrow, waist-deep channel between a little island and the mainland, and/or swimming out to at least one control flag lazily circling the island on Patrick McGillicutty ‘s pontoon boat. He will talk like a pirate all day, especially if you ask him to knock it off.
Start area is TBA, but near the main beach at Paddy’s Creek. We will begin on foot. Finish area will be on the island’s shore somewhere, where we will have a picnic, comparing finishing times with our toes in the sand.
NOTE – NO WALK-UP REGISTRATION – ONLINE REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED FOR THIS EVENT
Check-in and safety briefing – 10:45am
Start window opens – 11:00am
Start window closes – 12:00pm (or whenever last runner leaves)
Courses close – 4:00pm
Finish area breakdown and controls pickup – 5:00pm
Once we are all on course, we will shut down the Start area and move to the Finish area to monitor people in the water and receive finishers.
A variety of courses will be available, from Beginner to Expert, and timing will be electronic. Courses have not yet been set, but expect Beginner course to take less than an hour and Expert to take in the 1.5-3hr range.
If you are not a good swimmer, you must bring and wear a Personal Fl-O-tation Device. We may have kayaks or canoes or inner tubes or water wings or pool noodles.
All swimming/wading is done within sight of the Finish area for safety (and fun.)
Swimming on the course — swimming is an OPTIONAL route choice. You can always go around.
Swimming to the island — wading is a REQUIRED route across a shallow (3-4′ deep) channel
Swimming near the Finish — swimming is REQUIRED, and can be reduced if necessary
– Cost will be $20 for soloists AND teams (subtract $5 if you have your own finger stick – message me for payment alternative)
– Pre-registration and payment through Eventbrite is REQUIRED as there will be NO WALK-UP REGISTRATION.
– If you are a group, you pay just $20 for your group and includes 1 MAP AND 1 TIMING DEVICE. If you’re a group, please let me know.
– This event is kid and pet friendly (if they can hang)
– Max attendance is 60 participants due to another large event at the park that day. 50 available tickets assumes 10 participants are family or teammates.
– Another email will follow this one with more details just before race day.
– Any questions? Please ask!