Start and finish at Lake Tomahawk Park, located in Black Mountain, NC at 401 Laurel Cir Drive. Click here for Google Maps driving directions.
MapRun is a smartphone app for orienteering that runs silently in your pocket while you navigate through the real world with a paper map and compass. It tracks your progress with GPS and keeps score of your orienteering session. You can learn about MapRun here – https://maprunners.weebly.com/
There are NO MARKERS IN THE FIELD. You are navigating with a map and compass to GPS locations instead of flags.
- Suitable for all experience levels.
- Four courses included:
- Scatter Course – visit up to 35 controls (at least one) in any order and return to the finish.
- White Classic – 3.3km, 8 controls in sequential order (short, easy navigation, good for beginners)
- Orange Classic – 5.4km, 12 controls in sequential order (longer, tougher navigation, good for intermediates)
- Red Classic “Black Mountain Blackjack” – 9.3km, 21 controls in sequential order (no wimps, whiners, or weenies)
- Strava upload and all-time leaderboard (optional)
- Your purchase confirmation email will contain relevant download links for all courses and additional materials to get you started.
- How many maps to buy?
- You are welcome to bring friends and family with just one $5 map purchase, but please limit MapRun smartphone instances to the number of maps purchased. Self-print maps should be purchased per device. For example, if you purchase a single $5 map, you can print out your courses, go out there with your friends and family and run MapRun on a single device to track your group’s result. If you want to run MapRun on multiple devices, though, please purchase that many maps.
About the Map
- Map scale is 1:12,000 with 40-foot contour interval, is based on OpenStreetMap, Strava Global Heatmap, and aerial photos, and is NOT FIELD CHECKED.
- Dangerous and off-limits areas like the golf course, one particular unsafe street, and a tempting cut-through near The Oaks that is private property and not to be crossed are clearly marked in red hatch.
- Treat everything as private property, behave as if you lived here, and respect our neighbors!
- Portions of the map that are in color have been mapped and roughly field checked, particularly The Oaks and Black Mountain Veteran’s Park in the southwest corner. The park map is a miniaturized version of our sprint map of that venue.